The kitchen cabinets are a large component of kitchen remodeling costs. You can dramatically change the look of you kitchen and save on remodeling costs by refacing your cabinets instead of replacing them. Although a do-it-yourself job can be rewarding, it’s best to hire an experienced contractor to eliminate wasteful mistakes and major headaches. But how do you find a good cabinet refacing contractor?
The Contractor Search and Negotiation
Ask around and network with your friends and neighbors for a licensed, reputable referral. Get written estimates from at least three contractors. Get to know each contractor by asking them questions about the estimates. Envision the completed job including color schemes and material with the candidates prior to hiring.
Once you’ve chosen a reliable contractor, ensure that all contractual agreements are in writing and that a written home improvement contract is with the estimate. The home improvement contract should include:
- The contractor’s name, phone number, and address
- A detailed description of the cabinet refacing project
- Cabinet refacing start and end dates
- A statement that there will be no change of plans without your approval
- A stipulation that the contractor will not violate building codes
- And details of payment: down payment, monthly payments, number of payments, and total finance cost
- The contractor’s signature and license number
Before you commit yourself to one contractor make sure that you educate yourself. Attempt to only pay a minimal down payment for materials and services. Before long, you’ll be reaping the benefits of a brand new kitchen with little sacrifice.